Relationships – Building relationships with students is the most important part of teaching. With a foundation of trust and respect, students are able to feel safe and are willing to put themselves in vulnerable learning situations. With vulnerability comes greater learning potential. (Klem and Connell, 2004).

Relevance – Creating lesson plans that are relevant to students incorporates the First Peoples Principles of Learning, connecting to place. Relevance helps students build a positive personal and cultural identity as mandated in the BC curriculum, by connecting them to their local and surrounding communities. People develop emotionally attachments to places and therefor place-based learning can provide a strong context from which students can apply their learning (Semken & Freeman, 2008).

Rigour – In his book, How Children Succeed Paul Tough explains how rigour, perseverance, and grit are more important personality traits when determining future success than academic grades alone (2012). I believe it is important to teach students how to be rigorous in their academic journey and that having the courage to try is success alone. With failure comes learning opportunities and teachable moments.

Klem, A. M., & Connell, J. P. (2004). Relationships matter: linking teacher support to student engagement and achievement. The Journal Of School Health, 74(7), 262–273. Retrieved from https://search-ebscohost-com.ezproxy.tru.ca/login.aspx?direct=true&db=mnh&AN=15493703&site=eds-live

Semken, S., & Freeman, C. B. (2008). Sense of Place in the Practice and Assessment of Place-Based Science Teaching. Science Education, 92(6), 1042–1057. Retrieved from https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eric&AN=EJ817836&site=eds-live

Tough, P. (2012). How children succeed : grit, curiosity, and the hidden power of character.
 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Retrieved from 
https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cat03106a&AN=tru.a556313&site=eds-live

BC Teaching Standards

1. Educators value and care for all students and act in their best interests.
    I believe relationships you build with students is the most important part of their learning. This is the students education, and I am here to serve them.
  2. Educators are role models who act ethically and honestly.
    Back when I was a student, the teachers I had the best relationships with were the ones who were excellent role models. I hope to be that strength for my students as well.
  3. Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.
    One part of teaching that has me excited is the ability to expand my knowledge through professional development. I believe it is of the utmost importance to be up-to-date on the latest learning research.
  4. Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.
    Education is three-way street between the teacher, parent, and student. I believe it is important that parents or guardians are aware of how their child is performing and that means keeping communication lines open. I have discussed my ideas of community involvement in my teaching philosophy above.
  5. Educators implement effective practices in areas of classroom management, planning, instruction, assessment, evaluation and reporting.
    Teacher action research is a great way to understand if your methods are effective or not. I will continue to use this practice in my teaching.
  6. Educators have a broad knowledge base and understand the subject areas they teach.
    I have completed my Bachelor of Science in the fields I would like to teach.
  7. Educators engage in career-long learning.
    One part of teaching that has me excited is the ability to expand my knowledge through professional development. I believe it is of the utmost importance to be up-to-date on the latest research concerning assessment, pedagogy and learning practices.
  8. Educators contribute to the profession.
    I have had many teacher mentors assist me in my journey. I will be happy to pay it forward throughout my career.